Thursday , October 22 2020

13 killed in missile attack in Azerbaijan

Bloomberg

At least 13 people were killed and more than 50 others were injured in a missile attack
on Azerbaijan’s second-largest city of Ganca overnight, the authorities in Baku said.
A residential building was shelled around 1 am, the Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office said on its website. Search and rescue efforts continued after 13 bodies were pulled from the rubble and
two children were still missing. Armenia’s Defense Ministry denied firing any missiles towards Azerbaijan.
Azerbaijan President Ilham Aliyev blamed Armenia for the attack in a televised address and reiterated that fighting
will continue until Armenia agrees to withdraw its forces from Azerbaijan’s internationally recognised territory.
“No one can stop us,” he said.
Hundreds of people have been killed on both sides since the worst fighting in decades erupted between Armenians and Azerbaijan over the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh three weeks ago. Fighting continued overnight and in the morning of Saturday despite a cease-fire brokered by Russia on October 10.
Armenia took control of Nagorno-Karabakh and seven surrounding districts of Azerbaijan during a war amid the collapse of the Soviet Union. That initial conflict was halted by a Russia-brokered truce in 1994. Mediation efforts since then by Russia, France and the US have failed to resolve the dispute.
Russia has struggled to rein in the latest conflict in an area it views as its sphere of influence, partly because
of Turkey’s active support of Azerbaijan’s military campaign.

About Admin

Check Also

Malaysia’s UMNO pledges support for government

Bloomberg Malaysia’s United Malays National Organization (UMNO) party expressed its support for the government, in ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *