Tuesday , December 12 2017

Duterte: Philippines can’t stop China moves in disputed sea

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte speaks during a visit in Baguio city, Philippines March 11, 2017. Picture taken March 11, 2017.    REUTERS/Harley Palangchao

 

MANILA / AP

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Sunday that his militarily inferior country can’t stop China’s actions in contested waters, responding to a reported plan by Beijing to construct an environmental monitoring station in a disputed shoal off the northwestern Philippines.
Duterte, however, warned that he would invoke a July 12 arbitration ruling that invalidated China’s territorial claims in the South China Sea if the Chinese “start to tinker with the entitlement,” apparently meaning when Beijing starts to tap the offshore area’s resources.
“We cannot stop China from doing his thing, the Americans were not able to stop it,” Duterte said in a news conference at the airport in southern Davao city before flying to Myanmar.
“Sir, what will I do? Declare a war against China?” he asked, without saying who he was addressing his question to. “I can, but we’ll all lose our military and policemen tomorrow, and we are a destroyed nation.”
Duterte’s remarks differed slightly from those of the Department of Foreign Affairs, which said that it was trying to verify the news reports about China’s construction plans on Scarborough Shoal and that it would refrain from commenting while doing so.
In the past, the Philippine government routinely filed protests or expressed its concern whenever China took aggressive actions to assert its sovereignty in contested territories, but Duterte did not mention any planned protest.
The top official in Sansha City, which has administered China’s island claims in the South China Sea since 2012, was quoted by the official Hainan Daily newspaper as saying that preparations were underway to build an environmental monitoring station on Scarborough Shoal.
The preparatory work on Scarborough and on five other islands in the Paracel island group off Vietnam were among the government’s top priorities for 2017, Sansha Communist Party Secretary Xiao Jie was quoted as saying in an interview published in the paper’s Monday edition and seen online Friday in Beijing. No other details were provided.
If the construction plans on Scarborough proceed, it would be China’s first permanent structure in recent memory on a shoal that has been at the heart of a territorial dispute with China and would likely reignite concerns over Beijing’s increasingly assertive actions to cement its claims in the crucial waterway, where an estimated $5 trillion in global trade passes each year.
It will also be a defiance of last year’s ruling by an arbitration tribunal in The Hague that invalidated China’s territorial claims in the South China Sea on historical grounds.
Chinese government ships took control of Scarborough in 2012 after a tense standoff with Philippine vessels. China then blocked Filipinos from fishing in the shoal, which has a vast, coral-encircled lagoon that also serves as a storm shelter for Asian fishermen.
The Philippines brought its disputes with China to international arbitration the following year, but China ignored the complaint and the tribunal’s ruling, which found Beijing to have violated the rights of Filipinos to fish at Scarborough.

‘I am not intimidated
by impeachment attempt’

MANILA / AP

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Sunday that he would not be intimidated by an impeachment complaint and threats of an international lawsuit for his anti-drug crackdown and added that he’d rather have criminals dead even in the “thousands or billions” if they threaten law enforcers than see his men killed.
Duterte said he would only stop his crackdown, which has left thousands of mostly poor drug suspects dead, if drug traffickers halt their trade. He warned anew that he has ordered policemen to shoot criminals who would threaten the lives of law enforcers.
“Follow the law and we’re all right. Drop the shabu (methamphetamine) and nobody will die tomorrow but I will not be intimidated and I shall not be stopped by just … what? International Criminal Court? Impeachment?” he said at a news conference in southern Davao city before flying to Myanmar.

About Admin

Check Also

epa05314782 Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, chairperson of the African Union Commission attends the first Italy-Africa Ministerial Conference, in Farnesina Palace, Rome, Italy, 18 May 2016. Reports state the first Africa-Italy conference began in Rome where officials from both sides will discuss various issues fight against violent extremism and migration.  EPA/GIORGIO ONORATI

Split looms as S Africa’s ANC set to pick leader

Bloomberg As delegates from South Africa’s ruling African National Congress gather this week to pick ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *