RIYADH / WAM
Saudi Arabia’s Royal Air Defence Forces intercepted a ballistic missile launched by Iranian-backed Houthi militias towards the Kingdom, said the Arab Coalition Command in a statement. No injuries or casualties were reported.
Colonel Turki Al Malki, the Arab Coalition official spokesman, said that at 21:25 on Friday, the Coalition Air Defence detected the launch of a ballistic missile from Northern Amran headed towards Saudi Arabia.
Al Malki said that the ballistic missile was launched “deliberately” by the terrorist Houthi militias towards a densely populated civilian area of Saudi Arabia’s city of Najran. The missile was intercepted and destroyed by the Royal Saudi Air Defence, the Arab Coalition spokesman confirmed, adding that no injuries or casualties were reported.
“This hostile act carried out by the terrorist Iranian Houthi militia proves that the Iranian regime continues to provide the Houthi militias with advanced weapons capabilities, in flagrant defiance of UNSC Resolutions 2216 and 2231, with the main objective of threatening Saudi Arabian, regional and international security,” he continued.
Al Malki reiterated that the launch of ballistic missiles towards civilian populated areas is a direct breach of the principles of international humanitarian law.
He noted that the number of ballistic missiles launched by the Houthi militias towards the Kingdom has so far reached 176 in total.